I say that as Don has been making this forever. You always want more. Make it and you will see.
- 4 tbsp. good olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 – 14 oz. cans of canned Italian tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 3/4 tbsp. fennel seeds
- 1 tsp. each of: basil, thyme, oregano
- pinch of rosemary (chopped)
- 1 1/2 lbs. hamburger
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tin tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1 cup grated Asiago cheese
Mix all together in a large saucepot and simmer for about 1 – 1 1/2 hours until thick. On each individual serving, sprinkle the Asiago cheese.
All that is needed for a perfect meal is to add a chilled salad, slice of garlic toast and a glass of red wine.