We have had a competition for years over who makes the best chili. I wouldn’t listen until yesterday. I take a bow to Don as this is darn yummy.
- 1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb. bacon, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1 19 oz. can undrained dark red kidney beans
- 1 284 ml can of condensed tomato soup
- 2 1/2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. worchestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 packet beef boullion, dissolved in 1 cup water
- 1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, chopped in half
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- sour cream
In a large saucepan, cook the bacon wil just about crisp. Add the ground beef and cook until nicely browned.
Add the onion and (if using) green pepper and cook until the onion is transparent. Now the tomatoes, beans, soup, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and stir in.
Add the worchestershire sauce, red pepper and beef boullion mixture and stir in. Bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat and cover, simmering for 1 hour or until thick and bubbly. Add the mushrooms and simmer an additional 15 minutes.
Serve over rice with grated cheese on the top. Add a dollop of sour cream.