The seasons are slowly changing and this might help you feel better….
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, washed really well
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. finely chopped and seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced 1/4 inch pieces
- generous pinch of ground cumin
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups choppped tomatoes (ones in carton are best consistency)
- 1 cup Chardonnay
- 3/4 lbs. shrimp, shelled, deveined and tails left on
- 3/4 lb. scallops, muscle removed
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped Italian parsley
Slice leeks in half lengthwise and slice in 1/2 inch dice
In a stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat and add the leeks and garlic and saute, stirring constantly until translucent (about 5-6 minutes). Add the jalapeno pepper, carrots, seasonings and salt, lowering heat to low and cook until the carrots are tender (3-4 minutes).
Now add the tomatoes, wine and 1 cup water and bring to a boil and once again,. lower the heat and cook 5 minutes longer.
Stir in the shrimp and scallops and cook until opaque (about 4-6 minutes). Please do not over cook or they become like rubber.
Remove from the heat, sprinkle the parsley on top and serve with rice or wide egg noodles and a salad. Oh yeah, don’t forget the Pinot Gris -perfectly chilled, of course. Enjoy!