I always have a package of these shells in the freezer and this is a wonderful way to use them and enjoy a great light lunch or dinner before going out for the evening.
- 1 cup chicken stock (homemade is best)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 minced large shallot
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup chopped white mushrooms, trimmed and cleaned
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 2-3 tbsp. good white wine
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, skin removed
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- 1 tsp. mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 6 Vol au Vent shells, baked as per instructions on package
In a saucepan, put in the stock and bay leaf and bring to the boil. Turn off the heat.
Melt the butter in a fry pan and cook the onions for a couple of minutes. Add the garlic and cook a further minute.
Add the mushrooms and cook until tender and golden in colour.
Sprinkle the flour over and, stirring constantly, cook for a minute. Add the wine and continue cooking until it has all evaporated. Pour this into the stock and add the chicken breasts. Cook this for about 3-4 minutes, until thickened.
Stir in the remaining ingredients. Carefully spoon into the baked shells. If you wish, pour a glass of chilled white wine and Voila! a perfect meal.