After all the heavy foods consumed over the holidays, this might be a welcome choice. It is light, tasty and very satisfying.
- 2 cups sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. white granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. hot chili sauce
- 3/4 lb. uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp. dark sesame oil
- 1 small tin of sliced water chestnuts, drained
Add a little oil to the frypan and cook the mushrooms until they start to turn a light brown. Add the chicken broth, ginger, vinegar, sugar and chili sauce. Bring to a boil and continue boiling for about 3-4 minutes.
Add the shrimp and water chestnuts and cook for about 2 more minutes until the shrimp turn pink. Remove from heat and add the sesame oil.
If you are making ahead and freezing, omit the step of adding the shrimp. Defrost first and reheat the soup before adding the shrimp at that time.