I know I said earlier that I wanted to make a lemon dessert for our dinner, but ran across this one and it is such a proven winner, I changed my mind. I have talked about this one, but not posted the recipe…..until now.
Once you make this and try it, you will make it over and over again.
- 1 1/4 cup toasted, finely chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 3/4 cup berry sugar
- 32 caramels, unwrapped – have fun! Melted
- 3 tbsp. cream
- 3 pkg. cream cheese
- 3 eggs
- 8 squares Baker’s dark chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/2 cup toasted pecan halves
- jar of Caramel sauce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Draw out a circle of parchment paper to cover a 9 inch spring form pan. Combine the pecans, melted butter, brown sugar and carefully spread over the bottom of the pan, on top of the parchment paper.
Peel the wrap off the caramels and with the cream, put in a bowl over a pot of simmering water to completely melt. Stir occasionally to make sure it is smooth. Pour this over the pecan mixture in the pan and cool completely.
Beat the softened room temperature cream cheese, berry sugar and eggs on low to completely blend and add to the melted chocolate. Pour over the cooled caramel layer. Wrap the pan with tin foil up to and including the sides of the pan and place in a larger pan filled 2/3 full with boiling water. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Run a knife around the edge to loosen and cool completely. Cover and place in the fridge overnight.
When ready to serve, drop a generous spoonful of caramel sauce on the plate and set a slice of the cheesecake on top, making sure it stands up. Drizzle in a zigzag pattern with some caramel sauce across the top and add a couple of pecans. If you don’t think this is enough, put a dollop of whipped cream on the side.
Note: The water bath will prevent the cheesecake from splitting and cracking. Just sayin’.
Also note…I have been baking for over 40 years and for the first time, I tried to take a shortcut and put the caramels in a microwave safe bowl and melt them. It almost set our house on fire. The smoke was horrible and, of course, it broke the bowl. Never again