This is a very yummy dessert that everyone will love. It only looks complicated. Simply read it through, get the ingredients together and go for it. You know what to say both loudly and to yourself when done….Damn I did this. It comes in a few steps.
- 2 1/2 tsp. dry yeast
- 2/3 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 lime, zest only
- 2 tsp. salt
- 7 tbsp. butter at room temperature
- canola oil for your deep fryer
Put the paddle attachment on your electric mixer. Mix together the yeast and milk together and let stand for a minute to dissolve the yeast. Now add the flour, sugar, eggs, lime zest and salt. Mix only on low speed until all are blended together.
Remove the paddle and attach the dough hook. Mix until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl. Blend in the butter 1 tbsp. at a time until fully mixed and the dough is soft. Place the dough on a large piece of plastic wrap, sealing tightly and refrigerating for overnight.
There, that was easy. Next:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp. plain cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, again at room temperature
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 pinch of salt
In a food processor, combine all the ingredients and pulse until no lumps remain and is very smooth.
Pour into a heavy bottom saucepan and, over low heat, stir continuously until thickened. Remove from the stove and lightly press plastic wrap on the surface of the custard and when cool, refrigerate until very cold.
- In the morning line two baking sheets with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking oil.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface until 1/2 inch thick and cut with 1 1/2 inch cutter. Gather up all the scraps and repeat the steps until all the dough has been used up.
- Spray a large piece of plastic wrap with cooking oil and place the oiled side gently over the top of the dough. Place in a warm place until they become slightly puffed. This should be about one hour.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-2 limes, zest only (depends on size of limes)
Stir together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Fill your deep fryer with oil and bring to a 350 degree temperature. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Add the Fritas, 2-3 at a time and fry until puffed and golden on all sides (about 4 minutes). Use a slotted spoon to turn them over and then remove to the baking sheet. When cool enough to handle, toss in the sugar/lime mix and set aside to completely cool down.
- With a small whisk, loosen the custard. Put into a pastry bag with a small tip. Poke a hole in each of the Fritas, and pipe a generous 2 tsp. into each one.
For the best….serve the same day they have been made. OMG! Damn we did this.