Everyone has a favourite dressing for the fabulous Christmas Turkey that graces the table. This one is just a little different and is fabulous tasting. If you are in doubt, try it on a large chicken…well it is just a suggestion…..okay, I’m kidding!
- 2 leeks, cut in half, rinsed well and sliced
- 1 cup celery, ribs removed and thinly cut
- 1/2 cup butter
- pinch of pepper
- 1/8 tsp. dried cloves
- 8 cups dry bread crumbs
- 2 large firm pears, cored, sliced in wedges
- 1/2 cup crisp bacon, chopped
- 2 small oranges or 1 large, segmented using only the flesh
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large skillet, cook the leeks and celery in butter until tender (about 5-6 minutes). Stir in the pepper and cloves.
Put this in a large bowl and stir to mix together. Drizzle in the chicken broth and toss to combine. Stir in the cheese.
Grease a 3 quart casserole dish with butter and transfer the ingredients. Bake, covered for 50-55 minutes until cooked through.
**If you are using a 12-14 lb. turkey, you can simply stuff the turkey and bake it.
Enjoy and Merry Christmas.