Having operated a Bed and Breakfast for so many years and hosting special Brunches, this one is a real beaut. Easy to make and easier to gobble up.
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 large pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 chunks (roughly 4 cups of fruit)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2/3 cups old fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- zest from 1 lime
- 4 cups good quality plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 chopped, toasted pistachios
Melt the butter in a large skillet on high heat. Add the pineapple chunks, sugar and rolled oats. Cook, stirring and continually scraping the bottom of the pan for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and continue stirring until the sugar has caramelized and the pineapple softens (about 5 minutes more). Stir in the lime juice and zest.
Spread this mixture out on a parchment lined baking sheet, breaking up any large chunks. Cool slightly.
Spread the yogurt evenly in a large dish (9 x 13). Top with the pineapple mixture and sprinkle the pistachio nuts over the top.
When this is added to a bounty of warm, just out of the oven muffins, coffee, bacon, fruit salad, scrambled eggs (perhaps) or eggs benedict….you have a winner.