What a great way to serve ‘hot dogs’ from the barbecue, except you are using Italian sausages.
- 4 Italian sausages (1 lb.)
- 4 large whole wheat tortillas (healthy, right?)
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Cut the sausages in half lengthwise BUT not all the way through. Open like a book.
On the barbecue, grill over a medium high heat, turning after 4 minutes and continue cooking until there is no pink inside.
- 1/2 cup drained and rinsed canned black beans
- 1/3 cup diced red onion (optional?)
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup canned whole kernals (or fresh if you have any on hand)
- 1/2 – 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- pinch salt and pepper
In a bowl, mix together the ingredients, except the cheese, and set aside.
Grill the tortillas, turning halfway through until showing grill marks (1 minute). Place a sausage on each tortilla, divide the salsa and cheese over the sausages. Fold the sides of the tortillas and roll up from the bottom.
If you want this to be crisp on the outside, grill the filled tortilla on one side, carefully turning over after 2 minutes, and grilling until the outside is crisp.
In a word..YUM!