These are tasty, but should be part of a meal, not the meal itself.
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 lb. medium size shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. chili sauce
- 2 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 3 tbsp. canola oil
- 2 tbsp. dry sherry
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 green onion, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- parsley sprigs, for garnish
In a large bowl, combine the tbsp. of salt with 3 cups of cold water, stirring until salt has dissolved. Add the shrimp and let soak for 1 hour. Drain and place the shrimp on paper towels and dry well.
Mix together the soy sauce, chili sauce, ketchup and sugar.
Heat a flat bottomed wok over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes in a second or two. Swirl in the canola oil, add the shrimp, cooking until the shrimp starts to turn pink then immediately remove to a plate .
Add the sherry, ginger and garlic; stir fry for 30 seconds. add the onion and peppers, stir frying for another minute. Now add the green onion and jalapeno, cooking for another 30 seconds, Add the soy sauce and shrimp and cook for 60 seconds or until the shrimp are just cooked.
Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.