This would be a great way to treat your family/guests. They will be surprised that you could prepare a Thai dish and that it tastes so fabulous. Damn you did this!
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 bird’s eye chili, seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 x 8-10 oz. trout file, skin left on
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil (looks like lard in a jar)
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup short rice noodles,cooked and cooled
- 1/2 dragon fruit, peeled and julienned*
- 1 container of regular Bocconcini cheese, sliced
- 3 tbsp. Tai dipping sauce (buy at local grocery store)
- 1 tbsp. tamari
- 3 tbsp. coconut shavings
- lemon finishing salt
In a bowl, toss the cucumber, chili and vinegar and set aside.
Preheat the barbecue and add the coconut oil. When melted, grill the trout for 2 minutes on one side and turn over, cooking for another 4 minutes.
Remove the skin. Return the skin back into the pan and cook until crisp. Remove and drain on a paper towel. Flake the trout using a fork. Sprinkle the skin with a lemon finishing salt and cut into strips.
In a large bowl, gently toss the noodles, marinated cucumber, dragon fruit, cheese and trout. Combine the dipping sauce with the tamari and drizzle over the salad. Garnish with the coconut shavings and skin strips.
Serve immediately and watch the eyes get wider with delight.
* dragon fruit and seeds are edible. Bland in flavour but super nutritional source of antioxidants and fibre.