A few additions to the classic cheesecake using pumpkin and you raise the bar another step up. The use of preserved ginger is awesome.
- 1 1/4 cups graham cookie crumbs
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin (not pie mix)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cubes preserved ginger, chopped fine
- 1 tbsp. juice from preserved ginger
- 1/2 tsp. each nutmeg (freshly grated), 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 pkgs. Philadelphia cream cheese
- 1/3 cup English toffee bits
- 1 can condensed milk
- 3 large eggs
To make the crust, add the crumbs, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter together and press into a 9 inch springform pan.
Whisk together the pumpkin, sugar, spices, ginger and juice and set aside.
Beat together the cream cheese until fluffy and slowly add in the condensed milk, eggs, toffee bits and the pumpkin mixture. Blend well.
Place a pan in the bottom of the oven, half filled with water. This will allow steam and prevent cracking of the filling. Pour filling into prepared pan and bake in a 325 degree oven for about 50-55 minutes, until the center is set. Turn the heat off and let cool in the oven for 60 minutes and then finish cooling on a rack. Let this sit in the refrigerator overnight. All you need is cinnamon flavoured whipped cream and you have gone another level to finish this off.