What a delightful treat for everyone out cleaning up the yard at home or opening up the cabin after the long winter. These will give you the energy required to keep moving.
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 assorted bell peppers: red, green orange or yellow seeded and cut into thin strips (do not leave out the green pepper for sure – cuts sweetness of other peppers.
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/2 lb. hot Italian sausage links
- 1/2 lb. sweet Italian sausage links
- 4 slices of Monteray Jack Cheese
- 1 Italian loaf, cut crosswwise into 4, then halved lengthwise
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook the onion, peppers, salt and pepper until the onion is golden, about 15 minutes.
While the peppers are cooking, preheat the broiler and prick the sausages all over with a fork, and now broil the sausages, turning once, until golden and completely cooked through (about 10 minutes).
Transfer sausages to a cutting board and let stand for about 5 minutes, then cut in half lengthwise.
Fill the buns with the peppers and sausages. Add a slice of Monteray Jack cheese and let it melt over the hot mixture. Yummmmmmm. Add a cold drink and potato salad and you have a meal fit for a king.