- 1 lb. fresh salmon fillets about 1/2 inch thick and cut into 4 equal portions
- Olive oil for brushing
- 1 medium julienned carrot (1/2 cup)
- 1 small zucchini and
- 1 small yellow squash, julienned
- 2 oz. pancetta (make sure it has lots of fat)
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. julienned fresh basil
Steam the vegetables until crisp-tender (about 3 minutes)
To make the sauce, fry the pancetta, reserving any liquid. Coarsely crumble and set aside. Using the reserved liquid, stir in the whipping cream. Boil gently, uncovered until it thickens slightly. Stir in the basil. Remove from heat, but keep warm.
Rinse the salmon and rinse dry. Place the fish on a greased, unheated boiler pan, tuck the thin end of the fish underneath and brush with olive oil. Broil about 4 inches from t he broiler for 4-6 inches until the fish flakes easily.
To serve, divide the sauce on four plates, place the fish over the sauce and pile the vegetables on top. Add the crumbled pancetta over all. In this recipe you could also use bacon, but it will give an entirely different flavour.