The cold winter air makes one wish for a good hearty soup that can be made in a slow cooker. Try this it is really tasty.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1/2 of 450g pkg. of dried yellow split peas
- 3 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, strings removed
- 1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup of diced ham steak (250 ml)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 900 ml carton chicken broth
Rinse the peas and drain. Place all the ingredients in a crock pot, set on medium and leave for work. Check to see the peas are cooked. Discard the bay leaf. Enjoy.
When cooled, keep covered in the refrigerator up to 3 days, or frozen for 2 1/2 months.
Taste Rating: 8.7