- This can be an elegant main course or, if smaller portions made, can be used as an appetizer.
You will need:
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup findly diced shallots
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Calvados
- 1 cup whipping cream
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 4 trout fillets, skinned and boneless
- lettuce of your choosing
In a small saucepan, melt 2 tbsp. of the butter, along with the shallots, thyme and garlic and cook until the shallots are transparent.
Add Calvados and reduce by half, add cream and cook until a light sauce consistency is achieved (about 6 minutes). Season lightly with salt and white pepper.
While sauce is reducing, melt the other tbsp. of butter in a non-stick fry pan. Sear trout in butter until golden brown on one side. Be sure to place the right side up in the butter first (the no skin side). Brown this for about 3-4 minutes and turn over and cook for 4 minutes. This will vary if the salmon is too thick.
On a pretty dinner plate, place your lettuce, trout on top and divide the sauce over the 4 fillets. Truly amazing main course.