When we were on vacation a few years ago, we travelled with 2 ladies who became friends and one of them loved olives as much as my husband and these two would ‘steal’ the dishes of olives off all the other tables in the dining room. So…Liz and Don here is a recipe for the two of you (and any one else who loves these little critters).
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 large sprig of rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- zest from 1/2 orange, peeled in long strips with swivel peeler
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 16 oz. mixed olives like Liguria, kalamata, nicoise, cerignola (green)
- 1 tsp. fennel
- zest from 1/2 lemon
In a skillet on medium high heat, put the olive oil, coriander seeds, herbs, orange and lemon zest, pepper flakes. Swirl the pan and heat this mixture until it becomes fragrant (about 3-4 minutes).
Add the olives and cook, occasionally stirring until the garlic is golden and the zest begins to curl. This should only take about 2 minutes.
Serve these warm or room temperature.