I love pasta – any kind, and of course with bacon and butternut squash – how can you lose?
- 1 butternut squash (2 lb.) peeled, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red peppers
- 5-6 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cups elbow pasta
- 1 tub three cheese cooking crème
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups of shredded four Italiano cheese, divided
Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with a non-stick product like Pam. Combine the squash, crushed red peppers, and olive oil. Pour into baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes until the squash is tender. While this is cooking, cook the pasta as directed, omitting any salt.
Drain the pasta, reserve 1/3 cup of the water. Add to the squash mixture with the cooking crème, cooking water, whipping cream, bacon and 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Mix lightly .
Level it out in the pan and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
Bake for 2-25 minutes until heated through completely.
Serve with a crisp green salad, warm dinner rolls and, of course, a nice cold beverage.