Forever ago I told my husband I must have been Italian in my previous life. Love of pasta (almost everything) and this, the one I am giving you today, is one that Don put together yesterday.
It is beyond fabulous. Truly it is.
- 1 container (454 g) ricotta cheese (regular)
- 1 – 10 oz. fresh spinach (sweated in fry pan until becomes limp)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese for topping
- 24 oven ready Cannelloni (you use only 15 of them)
- 1 jar original Prego sauce
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 disposable decorating bag (or regular pastry bag)
In a bowl, combine ricotta cheese, sweated spinach, egg, 1/4 cup parmesan, mixing well. Set aside.
Fill the decorating bag with the cheese mixture and cut off the tip. **This makes filling the cannelloni a breeze.
Mix together the Prego sauce, fennel seeds, oregano and basil together and cook in a saucepan for 20 minutes to marry the flavours of the herbs in the sauce and now spread 1/2 cup of the Prego sauce over the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Arrange the cannelloni neatly in a single layer, and cover all with the sauce. Spread out the grated mozzarella over the entire surface of the dish.
Bake for 50-55 minutes. During the baking time the pasta will soften and expand. The top will be a wonderful golden brown, bubbly and wonderful.
Serve this with a chilled salad, garlic toast and, of course, and glass of a beautiful red wine.