This is another wonderful Hors d’Oeuvre to serve when having a dinner party or just a simple wine and cheese evening with family and friends.
- 6 large Belgian endive, make sure they have firm fat heads with yellow tips that are at least 6 inches long.
- 1/2 fennel bulb, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1/2 lb. fresh Dungeness crabmeat
- 1 finely minced shallot
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. sour cream
- 1 tsp. finely grated lime zest
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tbsp. orange juice
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of lemon pepper
- 1/2 cup orange segmented, skinned and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Trim the ends off the endive and separate into spears. Keep 24-30 of the largest ones and place in a ice water bath. Chill no less than 15 minutes, then drain and pat dry with paper towels. Refrigerate.
In a bowl mix together the fennel, crabmeat, shallot, mayonnaise, sour cream, lime and orange juice and zest. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
Spoon a generous amount of the crabmeat salad onto the wide bottom of each spear. Garnish with a few segments of the orange. Serve immediately.
Jump back so you don’t get trampled by the stampede of everyone wanting to try these. Yup! You did it again.