This is not only tasty but good for you as well. Would I steer you wrong?
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, washed, cleaned and diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 8 oz. white button mushrooms, dusted and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 4 cups beef stock
- pinch each of dried sage and dried thyme
- salt, cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups aged white cheddar
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted, chopped coarsely
In a large pot, heat the olive oil and add the celery, carrots, onion and garlic. Cook until all vegetables are tender. This should take 8-10 minutes. Stir occasionally so they don’t burn.
Add the barley and stir in well. Add the stock and herbs. Bring to a hard boil and reduce the heat to low. Simmer, partially covered for 25-30 minutes until barley is tender.
Just before serving, stir in the pecans and cheese.