The weekend is upon us and you want to try something different…something that everyone will like and probably become addicted to….get ready…here it is.
- 3/4 lb. your favourite sausage links, fully cooked
- 1 tbsp. Crisco oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup half and half cream
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- pinch each of ground cinnamon and fresh grated nutmeg
- 6 of your favourite Portuguese buns (long shaped), split down the top, lengthwise OR regular hot dog buns. Do not cut right through.
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 6 thin slices of Povolone cheese
- 1-2 red pears, sliced thin, do not remove the skin
- 2 tbsp. butter
Slice the cooked sausage links into 1/2 inch pieces and place in a skillet with 1 tbsp of oil and brown on all sides. Remove and drain on a paper towel. Set aside.
In a shallow dish, whisk the eggs, cream, sugar and spices together until well blended and set aside.
Put a slice of cheese inside the bun. Brush the cut sides with honey. Add some of the sausage pieces and a couple slices of pear and close up, securing with toothpicks to hold together.
Dip each of these buns into the egg mixture. Melt the butter in a clean skillet and add the buns, cooking 4 minutes each side. being careful not to burn. Remove the toothpicks.
When serving, drizzle with pure maple syrup and enjoy. Add a couple slices of melon or grapes and you ‘did it again’.