Always on the lookout for something new and knowing you have all the ingredients in the pantry? Try this one on for size.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, cleaned, white and light green pieces only
- 1 rib of celery, peel off the threads
- 1 gold flesh potato, diced
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2-2 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 can pure pumpkin (not pie mix) (796L can size)
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brioche croutons (or buttered sourdough croutons)
Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat, adding the leek and celery and saute for about 3-4 minutes until soft and fragrant, not brown.
Add the diced potatoes and curry powder and saute for another minute. Now add the stock, pumpkin, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer and cover pot. Cook for about 15 minutes. Add the cream and cook until heated through. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Put into a pretty soup bowl, add a few freshly toasted croutons .
The curry adds a little flavour but no heat and it is a wonderful refreshing soup. Add a bottle of well chilled Piesporter (glass, if only you).