To be sure, we are not talking about the dried figs out there in the market, I am referring to the summer when they are plenty, delicious, sweet and oh, so yummy! We are so fortunate to have our own fig tree in the yard, but for years when we lived closed to the mainland, we would have to drive in (1 hour plus) shop for the figs and drive back to serve these delicious fruits at our breakfast for guests at our B & B. I could not get any grocery store to bring them in. Anyway, here we go –
- 6 firm figs, washed, quartered and coarsely chopped
- 1 finely chopped shallot (or not)
- 1/2 cup nicoise olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
Mix together in a bowl and set aside.
- 1 baguette, sliced thin and lightly toasted
- fresh mozzarella cheese (not processed/slices)
On each slice of toasted bread, place a thin slice of cheese and top with the tapenade. Oh my, this is sooooo good. The sweetness of the fig and the saltiness of the olives really works together.
*our children gave us the fig tree as a house warming gift due to the fact we love them so much.